Sunday, January 11, 2009

Church was wonderful.

It is amazing how fellowship with fellow believers is so uplifting. I didnt make it to class, but I was early to the sermon time. I sat in my usual seat down front, but my friend, Jackie Thomas was not there. I will call her tomorrow to find out where she was. I saw many of my friends and it was like a homecoming to me. I do not know what was going through their minds as our eyes met, but I know I was thrilled to see them; to be able to put my arms around them and say how good it was to be home again. Some people, whom I only sort of "knew", were so nice and friendly and came to welcome me home. They asked about Michael. The church has Michael on its prayer list and they have been praying for him as I would let them know about the health issues as he was going through them. The church has been so faithful in their prayers and keeping up on Michael's condition, and mine, for the entire time I was away. I love my minister. He is not out-going at all, but a solid man of God. I enjoy getting the "meat" out of his sermons. He did not preach today--there was a presentation by three of the deacons regarding our planned "each one reach one" which is the theme of this year's evangelical efforts. Pray for this for our church. The leadership is really intent on motivating us all to carry the gospel to our neighborhood and they have a plan that we all could participate in and feel we have done something. I hope I choose to have a role in this effort this year. Anyway, when the "sermon" was over, the minister stepped up to the front while we sang the invitation song. Our eyes met and I know he knew I was glad to be back in my place. I spoke to him as I left and thanked him for his prayer he prayed for me when he answered the phone at church once when I called with a disaster--Michael's blood clot-- He is a dear man. His wife was one of the first to greet me this morning. They are Larry and Jan Keele. When my freind, Bill Rascoe, was making the announcements before the sermon, he said "Jan Kelley is here" . I could tell Bill was surprised to see me sitting in the pew. I am so proud of my self for not standing up and saying a few words. I actually relized that I was not the true focus of our assembly, and I actually sat silently in my pew. One of my friends clapped two or three times when Bill announced my presence and my return. I am telling you all that this is a wonderful group of believers and they really do care about one another and about our Lord.

The praise service at Champions is not that same as in Newburgh, but I was fortunate to be able to participate in that praise while I was in Newburgh. The singing part of the service this morning was a bit slow, but this was a different type of service this morning I was so glad to be there. God is so wonderful and His idea of the church is "genius". I dont mean to downplay our Lord's plan by giving it a "human compliment", for I know it is so much more than "genius". I am thrilled with the idea that the "church" is available wherever one goes. People, filled with love for our Savior and our God, embracing the new person in their midst and readily inviting the new one to particpate in mutual worship of our Lord. The visitor, speaking for myself, feels the arms of God wrapped around them even when they are a long way from home. This is beautiful and genius.

I look forward to attending Ladies Bible Class on Wednesday morning.

I plan to call two different church ladies and see if we can meet sometime this week for a cup of tea and some talk: Marcia Beasley Chitwood and my friend, Janet Phelps. I hope I do make these calls and I also hope I call another woman whom I met in the foyur while I was waiting for church to start. I think she is someone who has widsom that I could tap. Life is so good and I am so glad that I am able to participate in it. Fellowship with fellow believers is such a gift and such a boost for living this life.

Ramona and Karsen might go with me next week. I hope they do This church dresses up for Sunday service as most do. In Newbrugh, everyone wore whatever they wanted. A few of the older people dressed up but most wore very casual clothes. In the hot weather there were a lot of shorts on the men and flip flops. At Champions everyone has on a suit. It would be easier to ask people to come to church if their dress was not an issue, but in most places, "dressing for church" is expected and thus, an issue. Ramona had already told me she did not have any dressy clothes to wear to church and I told her she didnt need to worry about that. I told her she could wear her pants and a tup and that would be fine. And it would be fine. She looks nice and pants are worn by women. Wouldnt it be great, if clothes really didnt matter to any of the people who attended, but I am not living in that time of life I guess.

I took a long nap today and nowI am reflecting on the wonderfulness of this day. I am unable to express how very glad I am that I went to church this morning. Taking the Lord's supper with my friends and praying to God in the presence of my Champions' friends. Really wonderful.

I hope you are enjoying this day that our Lord has made today with those whom you call dear.

May God richly bless you, my loved ones. jk

2 comments:

Joe B said...

You drink tea?

Joe B said...

Get your pretty picture on your profile, Chick. People are talkin', saying you're my "imaginary friend"