Friday, January 30, 2009

Today is Mother's birthday. I am so happy for her as she is in Heaven with her Father God as I write. She was not a perfect woman, however, one didnt have to be around her for long to know she loved her Lord.

She continually honored our father, Frank M. Cardwell, and she taught us to honor him. (Our daddy was a jewel of a man, husband and father.)

Mother began her love of the scripture when she was selling houses at a new construction site, and sales were slow. Vicki and I were in college and, as she tells it, she made just enough sales each month to pay for our college bill. We attended Abilene Christian College, a costly private college. I remember when Vicki and I left to go to college, our family did not have the money to pay for us to go. Mother said she believed God intended for us to go and we were to prepare to go and drive out there and she knew God would provide the necessary monies for us to go. She said we would go out to Abilene and if we didnt have the money, then we would turn around and return home. She believed that God would provide. This was the first strong demonstration of faith lesson I remember, and what a demonstration of faith it was. We both graduated from ACC in 1968. Our baby sister, Suzy, graduated in 1970, I think. So obviously God did provide.

Mother taught us to seek the Lord and to turn to Him in every situation and to always thank Him for all of the good things in our life. I remember anytime I had a concern about anything that I shared with her, she always turned me to the Lord. I remember her telling me that Jesus was my friend who sticks closer than a brother.

She was heartbroken for me when tragedies struck in my life as a wife and mother. She loved me fully, I know without a doubt. I am so thankful that I had her for a mother. She provided a home for us that was a loving home where we all enjoyed each other. She had such a hard childhood. She didnt feel loved as a child. She was not a perfect person and she would be the first to tell you that. I remember telling her, when I was a child, that I wanted to be like her when I grew up. She immediately told me that I must not desire to be like her for she was flawed and would disappoint me. She told me if I wanted to be like anyone, it should be Jesus because He is perfect and He would never disappoint.

I thank God for the family in which I was reared. I love and miss my mother and I thank God that He allowed her to live on this earth for 88 years. Happy birthday, Mother.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet, sweet tribute! Love her and you! Thank you for that!

Lyndsey said...

Happy Birthday Mom-O!

Catherine said...

We Goode girls continue to learn so much about your lives that haven't been shared before!

Thank you!

vicki said...

Hey, JJ, just read your post (Sat.nite, 1/31) and appreciate your thoughtful honoring of Momo on her birthday. She was a lover of God and of scripture, she was witty and quick, and enjoyed conversation and speaking/teaching others...characteristics which you share with her. You are a blessing in other people's lives, just as she was,and I hope we arrive at that 88th birthday too, with memories of a life well-lived to the glory of God.