Friday, September 19, 2008

Yesterday there was no post as i am sure you are aware if you read with any consistency. I believe i was in 'mourning' for the fact that i could not reach my sister, vicki, since she now has a job substituting at the local elementary school library. In addition, yesterday was a big day working with my "worker" men here in newburgh. The roof man, went to "motivate" my yard man to come do the work he had promised. They both showed up around 4 (my roof/painter/dry wall/chain-saw limb-chopper and stacker--his name is Tony) as well as my yard man (His name is Matt) I guess Tony had decided that the only way to get Matt to get motivated enough to come over here and work was to be Matt's helper. So Tony used his own truck (Matt's truck is broken for the second straight week) to attach Matt's trailer and lawn mower and pull it over here. Actually they both did my yard and the neighbor's yard that Matt had promised the he would do for them about a month ago. Now his work for me has already been paid for but Matt did make some money on the neighbor's yard. It looks really nice. Now the next thing i am looking for, is for Matt to truly show up in the flesh today and finish the landscaping of this yard. Whick is a minimal task if he do it. Time will tell.

My grandchildren and i continue to be ready to leave the house daily at 6:30a.m. and so we do. It is so nice to spend this time together, either eating at the kithen table or driving leasurely to the bus stop. Yesterday, Michael jr. decided he was going to stay with me in the car instead of gettiing out to catch the bus like his dutiful brothers did. I was unable to persuade him to get out of the car and in answer to my querie of "Why don't you want to catch the bus?" He responded, "I want you to drive me to school." Sounded totally sensible to him, so i drove him to school. What else was i to do? The bus had already driven out of our view. So Michael and i had a peaceful drive to ScottSchool. Michael continually reminded me of the "blessing " we were experiencing. (He has heard me many many times refer to this drive as a "blessing" in that we get to see the beauty of God's creation and the tree-shaded winding-road is so peaceful and beautiful such a blessing that God gae us eyes to enjoy His handiwork.) What could i say? Well i made it claear to Michael that while i enjoyed the drive with him, i would rather all of the boys ride the bus so i can get home in thirty miutes instead of the hour round trip it takes if i dive them to school. They are such wonderful boys and i love them each so much. Last night, i fixed a Chicken Helper boxed meal of Chicken Fried Rice. They all took a bite of a few grains of rice and decided it was not edible for anyone under the age of 62. I held my head up high though and gave them a nourishing drink of Aple cider and orange juice. Then they ate some fruit and some juky snack left overs from the "snack packs" i had purchased for them to have when they took their ISTEP (TAKS equivqalent) this week. You wouldn't believe if i told you how big Brendan's "snack" was. Part of it was a 20oz bottle of gatorade. My mercy. Of course, I am the one who took both he and michael jr. to get the stuff for their ISTEP snack. I told Brendan, that the school might say something to him about the large amount of "snack" he had brought. After school yesterday, Brendan told me that not a word was said, but he said that he was unable to finish his "snack". i'm telling you that his "snack" could have been sent as a care package to one of the starving cities we see on tv regularly and they would have had left overs after feeding their city. The amount of loaves and fishes taken up after the feeding of the 5000 has only a tad more than my Brendan's "snack".

In a bit, i am going to the buther shop and the orchard. They have the best apple cider and they informed me that it is now "apple cidar season" in newburgh, and that their apple cider is made in the barn out back and it is as fresh as it gets. I am telling you, that i never tasted anything like it. It truly tastes like apples. So very good. I promised the boys i would get some more.

The weather here has been so delightful that we leave the windows open and the air conditioner off. Now we do have the ceiling fans going, but it is really delightful. i think i will be going. Hope all is well with you all. vicki is enjoying her job, it seems. I hope the hecticness of a full-time job never really sets in for her. I love my two sisters, Vicki and Suzy. Suzy and her husbnd, Morton, may still be in virginia where their son and his wife Emile, greeted their first son(they have two girly girly girls, Bailey and Brylee), Samuel Caleb Jeffrey, into the world on monday, september 15. Life is good. Where is that yard man...it is 12:55. jk

2 comments:

Brooks Inc. said...

Jan- you are the best newsy blogger. I love chicken helper fried rice...wish you were closer and I would of come over and enjoyed it with you !

Sure love you!

Becky

vicki said...

I can't imagine anyone not liking the meals you are preparing...surely they'll come around soon.

I miss visiting with you, and yes, I am enjoying the job and this school, but boy, do I have a lot to learn, technologically speaking.

And I will be glad when I get to retire from the day to day of the working girl's life. I believe my retirement will occur sometime in January of 2009, so be watching for the party announcements. And don't even think about spiking the punch!!