Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The day began with a lecture from the Grammy to her three grandsons about obeying her the first time she says something and that Grammy is the boss. The lecture went on for about 4 to 5 minutes as we were driving to school. I told them that I am used to children obeying me the first time I softly say something. This was said by me in an angry voice. It was not as harse as mother's but it was harsh for me. Well, this afternoon and evening have been devine. All of the boys are obeying me the first time. I did have to punish both Michael and Aidan in the car on the way home from school, but they obeyed and were silent all of the way home, which was the punishment I meted out. . Brendan was in the front so he and I chatted all of the way home. Honestlly, I feel this lecture was a long time coming and we have had the best evening ever. So peaceful as far as them obeying me the first time I ask them or tell them. In the past it has been that they obey eventually after they do what they want to do first. Sometimes I was asking them to do something and would have to ask them many many times. They would finally do it, but always begrudgingly. I feel a victory was achieved today. My plan is to be consistant and have the rest of the days be like this afternoon and evening.

For supper, I grilled hamburger steaks and fixed some noodles and green beans with carrots. Last night they protested so loudly about the mixed vegetables (green beans and carrots) and they were astonished when I fixed them again tonight. Yestrday I cooked them to mush and today I cooked them perfectly. Brendan says he does not like mixed vegetables, so I moved the carrot (one carrot) off his plate. They all ate without any argument and this was a first. I have started the practice of us gathering around the stove and serving each plate from the pot or pan. Then we head to the table where we sit and enjoy our meal. Mealtime has always been a good time for us, but there was always something at least one of them complained about. Not tonight. Great mealtime together.

I took the boys to school today, because Michael sr. worked later than the usual midnight and he is continuing to have insomnia. He has suffered with this since the July "episode". There is a peace that passes all understanding, but Michael sr. is not receiving that at this time in his life. Pray for him and for these precious boys.

I love you and miss you all. I am going to bed right now. The swelling is now only on my right ankle. My foot is not swollen. My toes are back to their usual spread-out positions. When my foot was swollen, all of my toes got to know each other for the first time in 62 years. Now they are back to believing that they are the only toe on each foot. Life is good.

May God richly bless you, my loved ones. jk

2 comments:

vicki said...

Love the toe visual! I feel encouraged about the reduced swelling now! Glad the boys were responsive to your life lesson (an alternative for "lecture"). they'll be better men for having heard it if they put it into practice. Hope they can learn to practice an attitude of gratitude instead of always expecting to be served by the help. And blessings on Dr. Mike. I wish he would let the Lord take on his burden instead of continuing to shoulder it all himself. Talk about lonely!
Anywaze, lylaf

Lyndsey said...

More jewels in your crown my friend!